This full Pet First Aid & Disaster Preparedness certification class includes a pet first aid handbook and disaster preparedness guide and upon successful completion, each participant will receive a certificate of course completion good for 2 years.
Certification Course 4/29/17
9 in stock
This class has 9 seats left!
Class time: 10AM-5PM
What You Will Receive
This full 6-hour certification class includes an extensive, user-friendly Pet First Aid & Disaster Response Guide, complete with illustrations, including a take-home folder of the curriculum presented in class.
Also included are many additional pamphlets and take-home animal first aid and emergency preparedness resources (including poisonous local plants, homeopathy and natural remedies for pets, building pet ‘Go Bags’ and first aid kits, and much more)!
Upon successful completion, each participant will receive a certificate of course completion good for 2 years.
Important topics covered in our pet first aid course include:
- Immediate steps to take in an emergency with your dog or cat
- What to include in your Pet First Aid kit
- Recognizing normal to abnormal vital signs
- How to safely approach an injured animal
- How to complete a “Bark to Booty” health assessment
- Restraining, muzzling & transporting an injured animal
- Choking management
- Epileptic and diabetic emergencies
- Fractures, bleeding & shock management
- Common injuries including: bones, ears, eyes, burns, poisoning
- Snake bites, snake identification, and insect stings
- Heatstroke, frostbite, hypothermia
- Preventing dog/dog and dog/human conflicts
- Personal safety during a pet emergency
- Strong emphasis on methods of preventing illness and injury
- Pet travel and outdoor adventure planning
- Feline CPR and rescue breathing
- and much more!
Direct, Hands-On Work Includes:
- Canine CPR demonstration
- Canine rescue breathing, artificial respiration demonstration
- Hands-on practice is performed by each student on a CPR dummy dog, with working airway and lungs, femoral pulse
- Each student will practice muzzling a dog
- Bandaging and splinting will be demonstrated.
This course also includes the pet-focused Disaster Preparedness Module. You’ll also learn how to perform the “Bark to Booty” Wellness Assessment.
Small snack items and drinks are available in the venue lobby before class. Please bring your own beverages, food and snacks. There is a one-hour lunch break.
Please leave your pets at home. Official service or therapy animals are always welcome. Thank you!
Return Policy – All sales are final. There are no refunds. Please be sure to contact us if you have any questions before you sign up for the course. Thank you!
WEATHER EMERGENCIES–If a class must be postponed due to a weather emergency at the class location, your registration will be honored for any classes 6 months from the original class date.